27 June 2017

Roxy

I have a bad news blog post about Roxy.

A few months ago, in early May, Roxy got really sick. We don't know exactly what happened, but she had intense, dripping-all-over-the-floor diarrhea. The vet gave us some medicine, but it made her throw up. I tried a bunch of tips I read on the American Kennel Club's website, but nothing worked. After a week or so, she stopped eating and therefore the diarrhea stopped. She started loosing weight pretty quickly, so we took her back to the vet. She couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong, but was able to rule out a few things and give us some more meds and special food to try. Roxy continued to refuse to eat and we could only get her to keep her meds down about half the time. She continued to lose weight and was pretty miserable. She looked skeletal. We were unable to figure out what was wrong, the vet did not want to put her down, and Matt felt we had reached our financial limit, so we re-surrendered her back to the shelter from where we adopted her. I asked him to call the vet to find out how Roxy was doing. They were unable to help her and had to euthanize her.

I'm really angry that our vet refused to put her down and that Roxy had to die alone in a shelter away from her pack. The only thing that ever mattered to her was her pack. I'm really thankful she's not suffering anymore.

The kids ask about her multiple times a day. Sometimes Theodore goes looking for her. It's really hard and I hate talking about it. I'm posting this here because I wanted to get it all out, though. If you know me in person, please don't ask about it. I'd rather not talk about her miserable death any longer.


No comments: