29 August 2016

Kindergarten

She's off to her first day of Kindergarten.


She was very excited, in fact, she hasn't stopped talking about school since the last day of preschool in the spring. She's still carrying the backpack we bought for $5 two years ago. It's still gigantic on her tiny frame, but it's still the smallest, lightest backpack I can find that fits an 8.5 x 11" piece of paper.


I filled it with a Lisa Frank folder, a carefully selected lunchbox, and a Frozen water bottle. I wrote her name on everything and showed her all her new school supplies so they'll feel familiar in her new classroom.


We toured her new classroom and met her new teacher, her new bus driver stopped by the house and introduced himself. We've been practicing everyone's names. 


Today is a half day, but I packed her a snack in her lunch box and wrote a little sticky note: Mommy *heart shape* Abigail. She can sight read those words and shapes and will know what the note says. Matt went in to work late, and all of us and the dog stood out front and waited for the bus with her, waving goodbye like frantic idiots as the bus pulled away from the curb. I joked on Facebook that I "barely held back the tears," but it's not true. I am very happy for her and confident that she will thrive in Kindergarten. The therapy, the inclusive environment, the routine, and learning - she makes such huge strides in school. My heart is tearing apart as my kids get older and begin to leave me, but I didn't cry. We are rocking this school thing.


Eleanor is, of course, oozing jealousy. Over the past month or so, as I've gotten school supplies for Abigail and her classroom, I've bought presents for Eleanor, some big, some little. A Sofia the First t-shirt and new water bottle with owls that matches Abigail's lunch box (both on clearance at Meijer), a beautifully illustrated Complete Tales of Winnie the Pooh (a not-on-sale splurge), a tiny cat figurine, a cake stand set with little wooden donuts and cupcakes on flash-deal site.


I'll give them to her throughout the week, little presents to make her feel special too. Plus she'll be getting a ton of one-on-one time with Mommy. It'll be tough for her to be without her partner in crime, but I think that the distance will make her heart grow fonder of Abigail.

The last little bit of news here, before I grab a crabby Theodore from his crib, that sprain I thought I had is actually a stress fracture. So now I have to wear this obnoxious boot around the house and I have an insert to put in my shoes when I go out. It's pretty annoying. Here's to quick healing.


No comments: