15 July 2016

Kids

I had my first energy drink yesterday. Normally, I'm like, "Your body is trying to tell you something. Don't substitute energy drinks for a good night's rest." But Theodore had barely slept at night for three nights. I would get 2 hours of sleep, then nurse Theodore, then another 3-4 hours of sleep, and then he's up. It's 3:30 in the morning, and he's as chipper as can be. I could nurse him and put him back in his crib with some toys and he'd play for a bit, but then he'd start crying. Rocking, walking, bouncing. Useless. I'd set him up on the floor with some toys and curl up next to him and fall asleep. He'd give me another little bit, then start crying. He wasn't hungry or in pain and nothing had changed during his daytime naps. But he was awake and wanted to be entertained. Around 6am, he would finally fall back asleep. At 6:30am, my alarm would go off. I was literally falling asleep mid-sentence while reading Abigail a book on Wednesday.

By Thursday morning (the morning after the third night), I was almost in tears. So after equine therapy, I dragged all three kids to Meijer and bought two 5 Hour Energy shots. I tried pink lemonade and it tasted like chalk, but it worked. I drank 1/2 of a bottle in the early afternoon and two cups of iced coffee (ie, leftover morning coffee) in the late afternoon. I had enough energy to tidy the house, make dinner, play with the girls, and lug Theodore around without feeling wired or shaking. I used up the last of the energy grocery shopping that night after the kids went to bed and was able to fall asleep without a problem.

There are many reasons not to become dependent on energy drinks, including that I shouldn't ignore my body's memos and they are expensive, but I'm glad to have an ace in my back pocket. Thankfully, THANKFULLY, he slept last night, only waking up twice to nurse and then falling back asleep. My fingers are crossed that he makes it a new habit.

* * * * *

I'm getting a little wore out with all the clickbait online that runs with the theme, "18 Things You Swore You'd Never Let Your Kids Do - I Laughed So Hard at #8!" Most of them are annoying the way that false modesty is annoying - #4: I would never let my kids watch tv! Okay, we get it, you wanted your kids to eat healthy, organic food and now they eat chicken nuggets while watching Paw Patrol when you've had a long day. It's like a contingent of mommy wars has become a contest of who can be the martyr-est martyr. "I let my kids play on the tablet! I don't provide my kids with constant structured activities during the day!" And let me guess, your biggest weakness is that you try too hard?

We've all changed our course from those preconceived ideas and that's good because we should be flexible and tailor our rules and goals to best serve our families. And everyone's are going to be different, as they should be. So let's flip the negative to a positive. Before I became a parent, I swore I would never become ignorant about current events. And I haven't! I follow the elections, I watched Brexit, I know about foreign affairs. I also vowed that I would keep reading (check!), stay active (check!), and own cats (I really like cats).

* * * * *

The other day a woman came up to me when I had Theodore in the ring sling to admire it. "Wow, this looks so handy! I wish they had something like this when my kids were young!"


Apparently she's never seen a picture of a Native American. Or...a history book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or Africans. Like, in Africa. Like, right now, even. :-)

And thanks for the last post -it is helpful to know that my scale isn't the only stubborn one while breastfeeding! And your intent to keep up your regular exercise despite the willfulness of your scale was a good thing for me to consider as well. TB

Iseoni Austin said...

According to my mother in law, they had ring slings and wraps when my hubby and his sisters were young but they were poorly made and difficult or painful to wear. Apparently the slightly-but-not-too stretchy breathable fabric paired with lighter buckles, clips, rings, etc has really made the difference. Africans and Native Americans did use slings but they were also much more fit than people weakened by modern appliances and soft beds and the sort. Still, I'll take my memory foam mattress and washer over being strong enough to use an old fashioned sling.