27 April 2016

Crochet Toddler Market Tote

Eleanor is my compassionate one. The lover of the stuffed animals and the baby dolls. She overflows her little arms with "security objects" and cries when she can't carry them all. So I crocheted her a little market bag to cart her belongings around. I scaled down the Lion Brand Fresh Market Produce tote pattern (the pattern is free, but you'll need a free account in order to view any of Lion Brand's patterns).


At first I just cut the pattern in half (6 dc instead of 12, for example). I stopped increasing when I thought it was wide enough. And I stopped adding rows when I thought it was long enough. It was one of those projects that should have taken a weekend (a definite one-day project if I didn't have a baby), but ended up taking much longer because I kept taking it apart to try to make it more perfect. After a few weeks of off-and-on work, I needed to move on, so I called it good enough. I used just over one  "super skein" of the classic cotton yarn, Lily Sugar 'n Cream.


If I were to make it again, I'd scale down the bottom of the bag just a scoach. It'd make the bottomless pointy and use only one skein. But all complaints aside, Eleanor loves her "Eleanor bag" quite a bit. Today she loaded it up with all my old cat Beanie Babies, her favorite baby doll, her favorite cat and horse stuffed animals, and as many books as she could get to fit in the remaining space.


Plus she looks adorable walking around the house with a little crossbody tote hanging on her tiny hip.





No comments: