19 November 2015

39 Weeks

I thought Tuesday was the big day. Around 3:00 or so, I had a strange feeling and then I found myself rather...wet. But there wasn't much gushing and the contractions were not very painful. Finally I called Matt home, we took the girls over to my sister-in-law's and headed to the hospital. I spent three hours in the labor and delivery triage unit before it was finally decided that I wasn't in labor and should head home. At 4cm dilated and 70% effaced.

At 4cm with Abigail, I was begging for an epidural. This time at 4cm, I headed home to chill.

I'm 39 weeks pregnant right now - the most pregnant I've ever been - and heading to the doctor for my regular appointment this afternoon. At my appointment last week, baby was measuring in at 39 weeks and my belly was measuring in at 41 weeks. A big baby would jeopardize my vbac changes and, if I remember properly from my pregnancy with Eleanor, they won't induce me with my c-section history. So the doctor thinks we should consider stripping my membranes this week. I didn't know what that meant until I Googled it, but the G-rated version goes something like this: they are going to irritate me/my waters in hopes of triggering labor in the next 24-48 hours.


In the meantime, we have been taking it very slow and easy over here. Quick trips to the craft store to get a skein of yarn and refresh my stash of colored pencils leaves me tired and sore, so most of the day is spent with my doing a calm, quiet activities in the most comfortable position I can find near the girls, who are doing quite well considering our lack of daily activity.


In other news, we did a second showing on a house last night. A modest but well-built 3/2.5 in the heart of town. We're going to put in an offer (hopefully today) on it. I asked with the agent if he'd ever signed a contract in labor and delivery and joked that he'd never forget this deal. While I'm not going to do any house-buying in between contractions, I would seriously put in or counter an offer in the mommy-baby recovery ward in the days before I'm discharged. Priority #1 giving birth. Priority #2 is buying a freaking house.


No comments: