26 October 2015

The Dread Before the Cold

It started late Friday night - the cold, maybe flu. It was Abigail, of course. The congestion, runny nose, gunky eyes, coughing, fever. I spent all day Saturday helping her blow her nose and trying to keep her and Eleanor separated. By Sunday afternoon, Eleanor was down. By Sunday night, even Matt was sunk. That was quite shocking. Matt rarely gets sick. He spent the night sneezing and coughing, but I thought for sure he was still going in to work. Matt rarely gets sick, but when he does, he never misses work. He misses work because I'm sick, but he never misses work because he's sick. The last time Matt stayed home from work was over the summer - he had the stomach flu and went to work anyway. We were still sharing one car and I was in the area when he called me about something else. I could here it in his voice: the dead-tired, can't think straight voice of one who should be at home in bed. Or in the bathroom, as the stomach flu usually demands. I begged, then half-ordered Matt to get in the car. So when he turned off the alarm in the wee hours of the morning, I knew we were done for.

I woke up this morning feeling fine - well, 35 weeks pregnant, but at least not sick - and knew it was only a matter of time. I frantically did the dishes, the laundry, the cloth diapers, made a large dinner before noon (large enough so we'd have ample leftovers), and ran to Meijer to get extra medicine, cough drops, and every natural immune booster I trust.

I didn't know when it was coming, but I knew it was coming. And sure enough, as the afternoon crept into the evening, I could feel it in the back of my throat. By the time we settled on to the couch after the girls went to bed, I confirmed to Matt that I, too, was biting the dust.

This seems way more intense than a regular cold, which has me thinking it might be the flu. Is the flu going around yet? Has it hit mid-Michigan? Do I really want to know the answer to that?

The only things left on my 31 Days todo list are:

-Make my fourth and final freezer meal (for which I have all the ingredients)
-Stock up on diapers for the girls (I already have newborn disposables, but I wanted to buy an econo-sized box in the girls' sizes so I can slack on laundry during my "laying in" period)
-Plan the baptism (we've already asked the Godparents, but I haven't even called the church yet!)

And this week, I will be 36 weeks pregnant and sick with something that includes fever and chills. Because apparently we go big around here.

1 comment:

Diane said...

We, too, have fallen victim to some nasty virus. It's not the flu but an uber nasty cold - although the last few colds I have had have all been uber nasty so I think the bugs are getting stronger and meaner all the time).It's wretched. I hope you all feel better soon although, if it's the same bug, it tends to hang around.