07 October 2015

31 Days - The Clean out, Part II

Prior to the actual start of the 31 Days Campaign, I started did a full-scale clean out of my apartment. All the rooms, closets, cabinets, nooks, and crannies were attacked with two goals in mind:
-Create space for a fifth person
-Make the apartment feel more like a home and less like a temporary stop-over

I focused on second goal on Monday. Today I am going to focus on the second goal.

Our apartment has two bedrooms and two bathrooms and about 1,000 square feet. Even though the floorplan wastes a lot of space, the bedrooms and bathrooms are pretty generously sized and we do have an in-unit laundry room. We are planning to buy a house in the spring (or maybe build over the winter and move in in the spring), so we really just need to make this space work temporarily. I am hoping to avoid buying a high chair and keep the baby in our room in a pack n' play (or, let's be honest, in the bed with us), so that we can really minimize the amount of stuff for which we have to find a place.

But babies do take up space! So part of the clean-out involved making space for diapers, bouncers, and newborn sleepers.


The Bathroom

The second bathroom, thankfully, comfortably fits a changing table. I reorganized the shelves to accommodate three sizes of disposable diapers, cloth diapers, disposable and cloth wipes, changed pad covers, diaper rash cream, etc.


We keep the door to the bathroom closed all day, so this space does not have to be kid proof. Everything just fits in exactly one spot, which is a bit frustrating when dealing with an emergency blow out. Unfortunately we can't put a shelf in above the changer because it would get smoked by either a kid's foot or my head. I am working on a plan, though, I'l let you know if it works out.


The Master Bedroom, aka, The Nursery

I reserved a huge chunk of empty space in the master closet to dedicate to the baby, high enough that the girls wouldn't be able to reach. Blankets, carriers, and breastfeeding supplies are all easily within reach. The gray and pink bins are even empty - they'll be filled up with swaddling blankets and the like once we meet the baby. The cardboard box contains things we won't need right away, but probably will need during the winter (like the tummy time mat, for example).


Newborn stuffed animals, rattles, teething toys, and receiving blankets have been cleaned and are ready to go, and I've been stocking up on nursing pads and gas drops as they go on sale.


I pulled a small dresser out of the girls' closet to use for the baby's clothes. The girls' clothes are pretty crammed in their one dresser, but I really don't want to get them another one until we settle in a house.


The living room and master bedroom really didn't require much, but I de-cluttered and found a permanent home for the little things that tend to accumulate in corners. I also rearranged some of the pictures on the walls, that sort of thing, just to bring some fresh change to the space. Toward the end of the 31 days, I will set up the pack n' play, bassinet, and swing. I'm hoping once the floor space fills back up with stuff, the de-cluttering and the new wall arrangements will keep it from feeling overwhelming.



That pack n' play will likely find a home in the living and a bassinet (ie Rock n' Sleeper) will take it's place. Right now it spends it's functioning as a place where Eleanor naps.



I've spent these first few days in October making a list of things I need to do before the baby comes. I suspect most of my time and effort will be in the making and freezing of meals, but there are lots of things to work on yet. I want to do as little work as possible once the baby is born, so I want to get a bunch of things done including finish filling out the girls' winter wardrobes, plan the baptism, and finalize plans with my sister-in-law, who will be watching the girls when I'm in the hospital.

No comments: