26 May 2015

Wedding Prep

Did you ever have to do that science experiment in elementary school where you have a glass jar and a bunch of stones? You have to get all the stones in the jar, but you have to pack them just a certain way in order for it to happen? The big stones first, the pebbles second? That's what these last few weeks have felt like to me. Abigail's birthday on Monday, the wellness visit Tuesday afternoon, the aunt and uncle for dinner on Thursday evening, the Bachelorette party on Friday night. Slow cooker dinners Tuesday and Thursday, make cupcakes Monday morning, make the dish to pass for Friday night on Friday morning, throw laundry in the washer right after breakfast and maybe I'll get it in the dryer before Eleanor's nap. Did I bleach the girls' tights? How much time should I spend trying to break in my wedding shoes? Wait a second - will my nylons even fit at this point?

But thankfully after three long weeks and two long days, the family-wide cold has left the building. It was brutal.

Getting ready for the bachelorette party with two young kids.


I am a very organized but high-strung person, which means I do things like...create a wedding-day schedule that specifies exactly where everyone will be, who they'll be with, and what they'll be doing down to the half hour. Such a thing is very helpful when you're staring down the barrel of a two hour Latin Mass.


This means that everyone has time to get ready. That I know exactly what I need to bring to the church to keep the kids distracted during pictures. I know when and how often Matt and I will both be busy and therefore need someone for the girls. I know all these things well enough in advance that I already secured an aunt and uncle to be with the girls during Mass and we had them over for dinner so they girls could get to know them a bit. It means that we went to the church ahead of time and I checked out where the bathrooms are and if a stroller will fit down the stairs to the bridal room. This kind of planning means that no one I come into contact with will be left holding the short end of the stick.

But being organized yet high strung means I also totally freak out over every little detail. Matt! I don't look pregnant, I just look fat in this dress! Why didn't we stick with that 30 day plank challenge, my arms look so flabby! It's so hot in this apartment, I'm turning the air on! Eleanor, gosh darn it, I just put that away! Ugh, should I hem this dress or not? This sheer stuff is so annoying!

In sum, shit gets done, but it has it's stressful moments.

Lots and lots of things are getting bumped to June with the promise that "we'll take care of that after the wedding." We're hoping to have a fun and productive summer while I'm in the blissful second trimester.

In the meantime, I'm over here being both productive and panicky. The girls sashes have been sewn in place, their tights bleached, both pairs of shoes are clean and matching and in a bag on the same hanger as their dresses.


What am I going to do with Eleanor's hair? I need to take the car on Wednesday so I can run to the dollar store and get some quiet trinkets to keep the girls quiet during Mass. I need to make sure I have ingredients for clean and easy lunches and snacks for the girls in between pictures and the ceremony and during the ceremony itself.

I have a babysitter arranged and hotel room booked at the reception hall. I emailed the babysitter the itinerary. The shoes, shall, nail wraps, and wedding gift are all ready to go in plenty of time and are never misplaced.





Does my wedding lipstick color work with whatever "season" my skin tone is? (I bought it on a girls' night with the endorsement of the bride). What the heck am I going to do about dinner for the girls? What earrings am I going to wear? What if there isn't enough time for me to get the girls up to the hotel room before we start the entrance into the reception hall? Should I worry about the bust of my dress being a bit loose?

I wouldn't normally worry about things like wedding lipsticks and bleaching tights, but this is a family wedding and it might be the last wedding I get to be in. Plus all four of us are in the wedding, and I'm super close with all my sister-in-laws, so this wedding is really special to me. So I'm paying to get my hair done at a real salon. I totally hatched a plan so I could be the one make the rehearsal bouquet. Despite the seemingly impossible nature of it, I am determined to make New York style bagels and surprise my mother-in-law to relieve some stress for her at her day-after brunch for the out-of-town family members. (She doesn't read my blog, so don't tell her my plan, people I know in real life!)


It's stressful, but it's worth it. Or it will be once I figure out how I'm going to keep Abigail from pulling the ribbons out of her hair on the big day.


No comments: