28 January 2015

Five Minute Friday on Wednesday: Share

I'm writing in regard to last Friday's five minute Friday. I hate linking up to link ups and yada, yada, yada. 5 minutes starts...NOW.


Share

I suck at sharing. I really do. I feel bad when I think about all the non-sharing I did as a kid, my poor little sister. Sharing is an uber big sacrifice for me. There is just something about seeing someone else with my stuff that makes me feel all...bleh. I feel like the perfection of my carefully arranged stuff together is ruined. Weird, I know. Anyway, so now I have two little girls and I'm not sure how I want to approach the issue of sharing. I read an article months back (that went around Facebook [after the five minutes were up, I found it here.]) about sharing. I thought the author made a lot of good points, the main one being: why should we force our kids to share what they were using because that's not how the real world works. So I'm still not exactly sure what I want to do. I can't exactly take the "first one to the toy gets to keep it approach" because that's not a way to teach empathy and compassion. My tactic of the moment is to just let Abigail play with whatever toys she wants that wasn't pulled out of Eleanor's hands. Eleanor is too young to care if Abigail takes a toy that was meant for her or when she can't play with a toy Abigail has. So yeah, I'm just kicking the can down the road for now - observing other parents to see what tactics they employ. So far I haven't found any I'm in love with.

Daddy sharing his computer on our old couch.

1 comment:

Cammie Wollner said...

I struggle with handling sharing even now... mostly because the shrieking that occurs when someone mugs someone else for a toy hurts my head (I'm actually really afraid I'm losing my hearing in one ear from all the shrieking that's gone on lately!). I think on thing that's made it somewhat easier is that even when the kids here get presents they don't really seem to think of most of the toys as "theirs" (with the exception of a few dolls).

I have a feeling Patch might be the hardest to teach to share... he's becoming quite the little bruiser, going around mugging people for their toys.