31 December 2014

New Year's Resolutions

2014 was a good year for me. When I stand here and look back on it, I see a lot I like. A lot of good memories. Some things to work on, but many things for which to be thankful. We welcomed Eleanor. Abigail started preschool and we saw dramatic improvements in her abilities. I finished my book and submitted it to its first publisher. And got my first rejection letter. I finally read the whole Catechism for the first time in my life. I read the whole Bible for the second time in my life. I matured a lot this year as well, learning how to enjoy where I am right now - tone down my hopes for the future so they stop robbing today of its pleasures. 2014 was a good year.

I love making resolutions as much as any other goal-obsessed, perfectionistic, type-A -er out there, but I hate the pressure the commercial forces put on us to "make this your best year ever!" There is so much pressure that when we fall off the bandwagon by January 15th (or, let's be honest, January 5th), we feel too defeated to try again. "The year is ruined. I wanted it to be my best year yet and I failed." Every Monday is a chance to start fresh. Every Wednesday is a chance to crank out a good week. Every Friday is a chance to finish on a good note. As Jillian Michaels says, "If you get a flat tire, you don’t get out of the car and slash all three other tires."

In 2015 I wanna:
-read 24 books
-weigh a certain number I have in my head
-get my book published
-spend more time in prayer
-buy a house
-conceive another baby

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

3 comments:

Matt said...

And blog 138 times!

Anonymous said...

24 books?!

Dang...I love reading, but I think I managed to read 3 this year, cover to cover. I've given up on books other than spiritual reading or saints lives and conversion stories. That's just how busy I am !

Happy New Year and Godspeed on your resolutions! TB

Amelia Bentrup said...

Happy New Year!!!

I would love to conceive a baby in 2015 as well. :)