03 May 2014

Random Bits of Pregnancy News

Yesterday evening I wasn't sure if I was in early labor or passing a kidney stone. It was the latter. I'm 37 weeks and 4 days and every time I twitch, part of me is sure I'm going into labor. We're a bit eager over here. If I give birth to this baby as early as I did with Abigail, she'll be here on Monday.

Actually, if I could pick a day to go into labor, it would be Thursday or Friday of next week. Up until then, I have appointments that I'd need to reschedule for shortly after the baby is born.
So those of you who've been with me with these pregnancy posts know that I've been pretty concerned about weight gain. I gained 55-60 lbs with my 6 lb 5 oz first born because I stress ate my way through that pregnancy. It was very difficult for me to watch myself gain and to loose the weight and I think it contributed to my postpartum depression. Anyway, this time around I've only gained 28 lbs! I'm pretty excited about that. There were times when I made healthy choices for snacks, etc, but mostly, just constantly being sick and nauseous helped a lot.

Okay, last bit of random pregnancy. Despite all evidence to the contrary, the doctor is pretty sure my due date is May 17th. They are basing it off the day of my last period even though my cycles are not even kind of regular. Based on the date of conception, I'm due May 20th. I know that date because we do NFP and were trying to get pregnant, but the office doesn't believe that I could know such a fact. When they did my ultrasound at 20 weeks, she said, "Oh, you're measuring about three days early..." I responded, "So that puts me at May 20th?" The doctor was pretty flustered. "We're still going to keep the due date as May 17th," she responded. Yesterday when she measured me, she found that I was closer to 37 weeks than 38 weeks. Still, we are keeping the May 20th due date. Oh goodness. Good thing everyone agrees I won't make it that far. The doctors have made clear that they won't induce me because of my c-section. If I don't go into labor on my own, I'll have to have another c-section.

5 comments:

Cam Wollner said...

Every time I come online I'm half expecting to see a picture of you holding your new little one in your arms!

And oh my goodness! Passing a kidney stone at 37 weeks sounds like pure torture!

Prayers for you guys in these last weeks (or more likely days!)!

Anonymous said...

My midwife wanted to give Charlie an earlier due date based on my last period, and had a hard time wrapping her mind around the fact that I knew the date of ovulation. I insisted on going with my own calculations (I went with hers when Francis was born and he was 2.5 weeks late, landing me in the hospital.) and Charlie arrived 3 days after my due date.

It's funny how its so out-of-place for a woman to be aware of how her body is functioning!

Like Cam, I hope, every time I type "J" into my Google bar, that JourneyNarrative will have a new baby pic!

We're praying for you! TB

Amelia Bentrup said...

You look great!!!

I wouldn't worry about the 3-day due date difference until you are actually overdue enough for them to want to induce.

It is annoying when they don't believe that you could actually know that however!

Jacqueline said...

I sincerely hope to be able to hope online and write a quick "in labor" post both here and on Facebook when things do finally start for real. I am totally in it for the prayers!

Cindy said...

Thank you for your post on my blog. I wanted to say Hi and that I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures of your newest baby!

I'm excited to follow your blog, reading stories about your growing family, your adventures in the world of Down Syndrome AND any new road trips! We are definitely a road trip family! :)