09 May 2014

Not in Labor

So I think a full blog post may be in order for those who are curious. On Thursday at 2am, I had some very minor contractions, lots of back pain, intense kidney pain, and severe nausea. The contractions grew more uncomfortable as the morning wore on, so we assumed we were in labor. We told everyone the good news, passed Abigail along to my sister-in-law (who had previously agreed to babysit), and came home and waited.

And waited. And waited. The contractions were incredibly consistent, coming every 5-6 minutes and lasting 30-45 seconds, but they actually grew less painful. The worst of the worst were maybe a 2 on the 1-10 pain scale, but most of them I barely felt. The nausea really prevented me from doing much to stimulate contractions, making even the short .4 mile walk around the complex really difficult, and I couldn't keep a single thing down all day, even water! I called the doctor that evening (one of my favorites was on staff!) and told him about my contractions, but he advised that until I was in pain, I would probably be more comfortable at home.

On Friday morning (this morning) at around 2-3am, my steady, regular contractions were finally painful enough to get me out of bed. I would say maybe a 4 or 5 on the pain scale. They had the exact same consistency: 5-6 minutes apart and lasting 30-45 seconds. I knew I was dehydrated at this point and that I needed some assistance, so after a few hours of getting up and pacing the living room every 5-6 minutes, we showered and grabbed our bags. For those of you who've never given birth after starting spontaneously before, when you go to the hospital, they first send you to a triage unit to make sure you're in labor before admitting you to labor and delivery. I would have sworn I was in labor. The contractions were so. freaking. consistent. through movement, naps, puking.

The first thing the nurse said was that she thought there was a good possibility I wasn't in labor and would probably be sent home.

I was devastated. I felt so lethargic from no water/food consumption, so sick from the nausea, and so exhausted from the regular contractions. Those of you who've been with me for a while know that after Abigail, I am terrified of being hooked up to a bunch of tubes and monitors and changed to a bed for the duration of my labor, but at this point, I was so sick I just wanted to be hooked up to a bunch of tubes and monitors and confined to a bed and have someone else take over. That's how bad off I was.

Thankfully everyone immediately recognized my symptoms of dehydration and the nurse/doctor immediately gratified my request for nausea medication (the first thing my doctor said when he saw me this morning was, "You didn't tell me you were nauseous last night!") Within 10 minutes of the IV flowing, I started feeling better. Within about 30 minutes, my contractions had almost stopped. After an hour, even Matt and I were convinced that I wasn't in labor anymore.

On one hand, I am incredibly disappointed and embarrassed. To have to make all the phone calls and texts, to have to repost online about how I sounded the alarm bells too early. I mean, this is my third time going into labor. You'd think I wouldn't be so terrible at it. And all of our preparations! I did my labor projects, I hung up a new sign on the girls' door with both girls' names on it. Matt and I told stories about how much fun it was going to be to have a new baby on Mother's Day. And now here I am, still with a giant, uncomfortable belly, and a baby so low she feels like she might fall out at any moment.

But on the other hand, after 30 hours of contractions and dehydration, I finally feel alert again and after 6 months of nausea, I finally feel fine (I finally broke down and asked for a prescription).

Anyway, so now we're all back at home, even Abigail. Today will be a quiet, easy recovery day and this weekend we'll only push ourselves as far as we feel like. I'm still close to going into labor - 3cm dilated and 70% effaced and still have sporadic contractions. And while I do hope it happens this weekend, I hope it doesn't happen today. I need some rest and food to rebuild my strength!

1 comment:

Amelia Bentrup said...

Wow...that sounds really grueling. So sorry. Hopefully that will just make the real labor goes easier.

And, if it makes you feel a better (and it probably won't) but from my experience talking to others and helping moms breastfeeed, babies that cook a little longer and are born closer to 40 weeks (as opposed to 37/38 weeks) tend to have a bit easier time breastfeeding, they are a bit more alert and a bit less sleepy. Of course, babies born earlier do just fine. All of mine were born at 38 weeks and they were fine, but seemed to be a bit sleepier and less alert than other babies for the first 1-2 weeks or so.