29 January 2014

Cloth Diapers: A Decision

Just a quick opening note: The last day to score handmade hats for $6-$8 on Sheep & Co's giant end-of-season sale is this Friday. This is by far Sheep & Co's biggest sale of the year.



* * * * *

I've decided to commit to cloth diapering. The final thing to push me over the edge was a YouTube channel I found called Dirty Diaper Laundry. The videos are boring as hell, but incredibly informative. I learned so much about the different brands and styles of diapers. It turns out I was making things more complicated than they needed to be - no surprises there. I've had gobs of way awesome advice from friends and heard about so many different ways of doing things, from straight pre-folds to half disposable/half cloth. I've been doing gobs of research directly on product websites, blog reviews, and my own BumGenius test run. There is no doubt that cloth diapers are more work than disposable diapers in the same way that paper plates and plastic cups are less work than ceramic and glass dinnerware. But the extra work is not very taxing and cloth diapers seem to me to have a reward that is worth it.

I'm going to take things easy, especially at first. I'm going to do disposable diapers when we're out all day (like trips to the zoo or holiday parties at the in-laws), when someone is babysitting, and when we're sick/moving again/something comes up that would keep me from doing laundry every few days. I'm also going to start with disposable diapers with this new baby. I figure I'll get an econo-sized box of newborn Pampers and start in on the cloth when that runs out. Lots of research has turned up the one-size-fits-all diapers (the kind I'm planning to buy) don't have the best fit on brand new babies. Plus, I have zero desire to add a single extra chore to my plate during those first few weeks back, especially if my VBAC fails and I end up with another c-section. But we'll see how it goes and I'll start phasing cloth in when I feel up to it. I also plan to use disposable wipes, again, at least in the beginning.

For those of you who are super into this kind of thing, I like pocket diapers better than AIOs (AIOs take f-o-r-e-v-e-r to dry), and I really theoretically love the new line of Fuzzibunz brand. I say theoretically, because I've only seen them via YouTube videos, but the elastic-button-leg-hole thing would be ideal for Abigail's unusually thin body. In fact, I already only buy jeans with the elastic-button thing on the waist because of the problems I have with clothing fitting her.

My plan is to build up my stash with a few different brands by keeping an eye on Craigslist and Ebay, hitting up a few local stores, and attending a gigantic Mom 2 Mom sale at the Ingham County Fairgrounds in March. I'm hesitant to have an entire stash of one brand or style since all my kids aren't going to be the same size.

I am sorely tempted to buy the diapers in way-fun pinks, purples, and with girly designs, but I'm pretty sure I'll be regretting that if any future children are boys and I have to sacrifice my cross-kid diaper savings with more gender neutral colors.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Have fun with the cloth diapers! We cloth diapered my daughter. Exactly like you said, we started once she fit into one-size, and I think that was around 2-3 months old. Also using disposable wipes. My favorite is the BumGenius Freetime, I disliked Fuzzibunz, the leg thing just did not work for us, they were super bunchy. I'd say buy a few of a different kinds and see what works for you. If you don't like them, join DiaperSwappers forum and then you can buy used if you don't mind used, and sell the ones you don't like.

Sawako said...

We're doing prefolds/fitteds with our newborn, and its working really well. I figure its better for keeping for future babies since the covers don't have to be washed unless they get poop on them, and washing frequently reduces lifetime. The site I found most useful with instructions was http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/

I wouldn't worry about colors, baby won't be aware or mind if they are in pink or blue =) We got a carseat in pink before we knew the gender of our baby since that was the cheapest color. Baby turned out to be a girl but my MIL was scandalized that we'd have put a boy in a pink seat for some reason... why do different colored prints cost different anyway? The black was something like $30-40 more expensive than the pink.