09 December 2013

The Craft Fair: The Results

Before I tell you how the craft fair went,  I shall build anticipation by telling you a two other things first.

About a week ago, my body suddenly realized that it was in the second trimester and could knock off all that dramatic nausea-fatigue-about-to-die stuff. I still have fatigue, but it's not the same intense first-trimester fatigue that made me nap on a daily basis. My almost-old self arrived just in the nick of time, as the craft fair signaled a huge dumping of "oh my gosh - Christmas is just around the corner and I haven't even started!" I desperately need my energy just to meet the minimum requirements. To-dos keep flooding my mind, trying so hard to send me into a panic, but I'm doing my best to stay calm by jotting all the seemingly ASAP tasks down in my planner so I can prioritize them and make sure nothing gets forgotten.

On a more serious note, if you could keep Abigail in your prayers this Thursday, I'd really be thankful. We're going in for a minor procedure/invasive test. It's not a big deal, but it involves general anesthesia. Blah. Poor kid, this is her second time going under in only 2.5 years of life. We're hoping to discover a cause to her severe acid reflux. Two less invasive tests came back normal, so this is kind of our last hope.

Okay, craft fair.


In sum, it sucked.

But I don't know if it sucked or I sucked or both. I heard people walking muttering, "last year's fair was much better." But I also heard people exclaiming, "It's so crowded out there I barely found a place to park!" When I bought some lunch at the food counter, I found myself squeezing past people clustered around tables, but when I went out later to see how the crowds were, the place was practically empty. We had a pretty lame location, but the table next to us was pleased with her sales. So...I have no idea who's to blame.

I only made about 1/2 of what I spent in preparation for the fair. That counts the table fee, the business cards, and the extra yarn I bought to make 50 new hats. Only 1/2. So overall, the fair was a loss for me. I did learn some lessons though. What sells online does not have any correlation to what will sell at a church craft fair. My most popular item online was my least popular item at the fair. But of course, I made 50 of my most popular item to sell at the fair. The only way I'd do another was if I had enough product in my shop to stock the booth. I would only put in as minimal expense as possible to minimize my risk of a loss.

Now all that being said, I don't regret doing the fair. It took a lot of work and a measure of guts to do, and I'm proud of myself for putting it all on the line. I used to be all, "If you don't win, why play the game?" But somewhere between 17 and 27, I realized the journey you take, even if it leads to failure, can still be rewarding.


Plus there is something to be said for learning how to deal with failure.

The silver-lining, turn the negative into a positive, find the good in the bad of this whole thing was that my Etsy shop more than doubled in size with remaining product. I got everything photographed and listed the day after the fair. A few days leading up to the fair through right now, I've been getting orders like crazy. And I am so, so, so, so, so thankful. Nothing makes a bitter pill like "you knitted through hell and it was all worthless" easier to swallow than figuring out a way to make it worthwhile.


If you're interested in perusing my new bounty, check out my Etsy shop by clicking the banner below!


No comments: