26 December 2013

Resurrection

I know, I know, wrong holiday. (Hehe, that was kind of a Catholic joke. Sorry about that.)

I didn't forget. You are very justified if you thought I would. But I didn't.


Very brief review: I was planning to finish writing and editing my memoirs during the 31 Days campaign during the month of October (original post), but about half-way through, a bunch of things stressed me out and I had to draw some boundaries (original post). I promised that after the craft fair, the first trimester, the kidney stent hell, and the holidays, I would resume them.

I did.

Sitting down to write again felt like slipping into an old, comfortable chair. I love writing.

Second brief review: I had written the entire manuscript and had edited the first half of the book on paper when I hit the pause button. Tonight I made the changes to the computer file that I had on paper. I also finished editing the second half of the second section of the the book (so now instead of 1.5 sections done, I've got 2 sections down, or 2/3 of the book). I had to do some heavy editing of the end of it, but I got in a good three hours of solid, focused work tonight.

To do list (ideally before the new baby comes in mid-May):

-Edit the third and final section of the manuscript.
-Make Matt read through it all and discuss changes.
-Find a few suckers friends to read through it and share their perspectives. More editing.
-Read through a final time to make it as good as it's going to get.
-Research how publishing works.
-Either find an agent, start submitting, or both.

* * * * *

It's finally Christmas, my husband is home all of the time, Abigail is sick again (I'm starting to think she doesn't even have an immune system), and I'm pregnant. Life feels very fluctuate-y, but I'm feeling really peaceful and content right now. I'm building a list of things I want to accomplish before the new baby comes and I feel really good about that list. I love feeling like I know what I'm striving for in my role in my family and in my personal interests.

3 comments:

Amelia@One Catholic Mama said...

How exciting!! FWIW...I'd be happy to read through it share my perspectives. I have done the same for a few of my mom's books. (and I won't be offended if you don't want me to :)

Jacqueline said...

Amelia,

I would be so stoked if you would read my manuscript! I will be in touch soon to set up more formal arrangements. THANK YOU in advance : )

Kate Sherwood said...

That is wonderful that are back in your writing mode. Good luck!

Kate @ BJJ, Law, and Living