19 November 2013

Crafting and cheesy posters as two separate topics

A wicked storm blew through here Sunday night, knocking out power across the county. Thankfully our section of town was spared the black-out, but we did lose Internet. When we first lost the world wide web, I was pretty annoyed - I kept thinking of things I wanted to look up, check, research, browse, do. And I was repeatedly stymied. First world problems, I know.

But wouldn't you know it, I got a ton more stuff done. Do a little work, sit down rest, get up, do a little more work. No sitting down at the computer to watch an hour drain away. I felt calmer, more focused. Matt and I had a few more conversations. It was really nice, actually. It makes me want to declare certain days of the week "no Internet days," but I very much suspect it wouldn't be sustainable as we depend on our computers far too much for...everything. Recipes, directions, weather, Thanksgiving plans, my Etsy shoppe, working from home, paying bills, doing the finances. And that's just the "essentials."

After about a month and a half of almost non-stop knitting (I clock 2-4 hours per day for this craft fair), my right wrist, hand, and arm are finally calling it. The soreness is telling me to ease up, so I'm going to take a few days "off" to work on tagging and sorting product and testing out a few display ideas. I estimate that I have about 4 days worth of work left until I hit my production goals, so I've got time to get everything done.

All my major to-dos are getting sorted by "general season" lately. Christmas present making/shopping? Post fair. Making an afghan with all my scrap yarn? January. Planning the Christmas menu? Post fair. Picking out names for this new baby? January. Cleaning out closets? January. Getting Abigail a toddler bed? Between February and the due date. Reading a book again? January.


It was one of those Aquadoodle pens that only writes water. So really, she was washing the walls for me. How thoughtful.

I really hate those sappy Facebook "posters" that go around featuring a child with Down syndrome. You know the type I mean: a photo that zeros in on the child's smiling face with a caption that says something along the lines of "my disability doesn't define me!" When that kind of shit gets posted on my wall, it gets deleted.

Everyone has a different opinion, and my opinion is not indicative of the Ds community as a whole. Just like some people spank and some timeout, some people eat meat and some don't, some people public school and others homeschool. We do what we think is best for our family.

I think a photo of a child with a disability talking about how the disability does not define them only HIGHLIGHTS the disability.

If I took a picture of a cute, blonde child, captioned it with "I like kitties and Goodnight Moon," and posted it to Facebook, my friends would "like" it, but most people wouldn't care. But if I took a picture of a cute blonde child with Down syndrome and gave it the same caption, it'd be a statement.

When people look at Abigail, I don't want them to say to themselves, "Wow, look at that little disabled girl not letting her disability stop her from achieving her goals." I want them to say, "Those sparkly light up shoes are way cute." Or "Where are that kid's parents - she's writing on the wall for crying out loud!"

Now all this isn't to say that we don't/shouldn't talk about Down syndrome or struggles or successes. By all means, ask us how therapy is going. Ask how her heart is doing. Ask why she hates mashed potatoes and chicken nuggets or even how Down syndrome has impacted our family. That's the same thing as me asking you how work is going, if you guys have any success with co-sleeping, what you make for dinner when you forget to defrost the roast, or what curriculum you use with your kids.


She's an energetic, bossy, blonde, two-year-old who likes music, books, and kitties. Fuck the Down syndrome. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go put the real markers in the kid-proof drawer.

No comments: