12 July 2013

5 Minute Friday: Present

5 Minute Friday hosted by Lisa-Jo Baker.

Five Minute Friday

Today's topic: Present

GO

Okay, so I'm going to get a lot of hate mail for this, but here goes.

For the first time in my 26 years of life, I watched Mary Poppins today.

Yes, yes, the outrage. You see, I grew up in a Disney Princess household, not a  classic movies house, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Anyway, Abigail was feeling tired and clingy today, but in the past, hasn't enjoyed The Little Mermaid or Ratatouille or even Thomas the Train. In fact, to be honest, she usually can't even sit still through an entire episode of Blues Clues. But I'd let her watch a few of the song scenes from Mary Poppins on You Tube and she'd always been mesmerized. So we rented it on Amazon and curled up before her nap.

My usually energetic, kicking, wiggly two-year-old cuddled up next to me, head on my arm and giggled adorably to the move. For an hour straight. She would have kept going, but it was nap time! I felt connected to Abigail as my arm went numb in a way I haven't since she started scooting. She looked up at me when I laughed and laughed with me, even though she didn't understand the jokes. She pointed to the screen when animals would appear and snuggled in deeper for the songs. And while she was focused on the screen, I couldn't stop focusing on her. The way she smells like baby soap. The way her hair is practically the same color as mine. The way we're here, together in our present. Now.

STOP

Happy Friday, my friends.

3 comments:

seasonedwithlife said...

You gave Abigail the best present today: yourself and your time! How wonderful for the both of you. Found you on 5 Minute Friday.

Denise said...

Such a sweet post.

Everyday, Looking for Rainbows said...

It's sound like a wonderful moment you had with your baby:)
My post is at: http://leahjlynn.wordpress.com/2013/07/12/present-explanation/