10 April 2013

Big News

There is something that I have been wanting to tell you guys for a long time, now.


We're pregnant! 8 weeks and a few days (it's harder to keep track the second time around). I've been wanting to mention it in blog posts - like how nice it was to have a meal plan because I've been so tired and not having to think about dinner has been wonderful! I've had so many thoughts bouncing around in my head lately that I will just blurt them out list-style for you here.

1. With Abigail, I was as sick as a dog and the only thing that would keep the nausea at bay was eating high carb and protein things. This time around, I have very little nausea, tons of fatigue, and food aversions to everything that isn't beef or sugar (with Abigail, I detested sugary things).

2. I started the pregnancy with extreme, severe fatigue. I finally remembered about 3 weeks ago that I'm anemic and I haven't been taking any iron supplements. Within a few days of a daily iron pill, I was feeling significantly better. I'm also noticeably more irrational and weepy (I was neither with Abigail). But, other than that, sometimes I don't even feel pregnant! (That never happened with Abigail).

3. This pregnancy wasn't planned, and I'm really excited about that fact. Since we're practicing Catholics, we don't use artificial birth control, just natural family planning. Well, we were so gosh-darn good at it (almost 5 years of marriage and no unplanned pregnancies) that I was starting to worry. Coupled with the fact that our only child (planned) has a genetic abnormality and, well, I was wondering if this was going to just be a thing for Matt and me. So yes, I'm super stoked to have a user error because it is one small sign that means we can have more kids.

4. I'd be lying if I wasn't really worried about this baby's health. After experiencing Abigail's heart defect, I realize that there are 100,000,000 places for something to go wrong and endanger the life of a newborn. The fact that any child at all is born perfectly healthy is a huge miracle. So yeah, I'm worried. And the worry doesn't even end at birth. The child could develop Autism or cancer or have some sort of gender identity crisis when s/he's 18. Every day that this child is alive (even in utero) is a super huge miracle that I'm trying not to take for granted.

5. I hate my doctor in IL. Lots of reasons, but mostly because she treats me like a pregnant 16-year-old, talking to me as if I were an imbecile, and she's really, really pushing me to get genetic testing. As if I were going to abort baby #2 after having baby #1 with Ds. I think she's the imbecile. I'm going to search for a new doctor, but thankfully, we'll be back in Michigan before I have the baby.

6. Some people have said to me upon finding out, "Wow. Moving and pregnant in the same summer. That's rough." But what they don't realize is that this summer will be the easiest move of my adult life. First of all, we can make the drive in one day (no hotels!), I'll hopefully be moving to a house we'll own (no more moving after 12 monts), and I'll only be in my second trimester (I was 8.5 months when we came to Michigan). So yeah, I think this is pretty decent timing.

7. One thing I'm actually really concerned about as well is what strangers will say. You see, I look pretty young. I'm actually 26, but most people put me between 18-21. I've even gotten 16 more times than a few. Here's two recent photos of me:



Because I look like a teenage mother, I get a lot of people who feel inclined to say something. When I told a co-worker I was pregnant with Abigail, the first thing she said was, "Are you even legal?" I've had a complete stranger come up to me off the street and tell me I was too young to have a kid. I've had a doctor ask me if, "the baby daddy is in town" with me. When I was out with my mom once, a woman walked up to us and started giving my mom advice on raising your kid when she's having a kid herself. I've never corrected anyone because I firmly believe that my age, marital status, and college education level are not their business. I walk away and try to take it as flattery (hey, if I can still shave up to 10 years off when I'm 40, I'm not complaining). But, I know many friends who get the "you have a lot of kids" comments with only 3 children. I'm nervous as to what they'll say to a teen mom with two kids, one with special needs. And she's the size of a 12-month-old and developmentally delayed, so they're probably going to look very close in age. Man, and I think cashiers are rude now...

8. We're super excited about this pregnancy. I don't know if we'll find out the gender or not. We already have names picked out (not putting them in stone, though). My official due date is Nov 16.

Yay!

6 comments:

Amelia said...

Congratulations!! That's wonderful!!

FWIW, I don't think you look like a teen mom. I had my first when I was 24 and my second when I was 26 (almost 27) and I don't think I ever had people judging me or thinking I was a teen mom. (Of course, maybe I looked older..but I don't think I did, I always thought I looked younger). Of course, it's possible I'm just oblivious to it. LOL

Prayers everything going well and for a safe and healthy pregnancy and baby.

Kate Sherwood said...

So excited for you!

I hope you find a really great new OB/GYN. It is so important to be treated with respect.

Congratulations, again, and good luck!

Kate @ BJJ, Law, and Living

Michelle J said...

Congrats Jacqueline! Don't you worry. When I was in 8th grade, my teacher thought my Mom was in middle school. Now she's 60 and people think she's 10-15 years younger - so you'll win when they are old and wrinkled :)

Allison said...

congrats! I also don't think you look like a teen mom!

And I agree, new doctor time! Have you tried finding a NFP doctor near you? My whole doctor's office is Catholic and so NFP is the norm, they'd never say things like that to someone!

Not sure if you've searched, as I know they're few and far between, but you can look on http://onemoresoul.com/ for some.

Holly M said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you both! I'm not surprised God is blessing you with more children, I can tell you are loving parents.

If I can make a suggestion for a Dr for you. I went to sparrow in Lansing whither Annebeth and will again with the next and they were fantastic! I know you won't be out here until summer but maybe one to look into. I can hardly wait to go back for the next one they were so great. Well Congrats again and I lookfforward to hearing more as you progress!

Cam Wollner said...

Congratulations!!! I now I said it on your facebook, but I had to say it again, because it's just so exciting! And I'm perpetually baby crazy and giggly about baby news!

And you're going to be living here! (If you don't have an OB here, I did think mine was really good! But you probably already know someone I'm guessing!). So exciting!

And I love that picture of Abigail in her big sister shirt! So cute!