12 November 2012

Batten Down the Hatches

By Saturday afternoon, Abigail was back to her old self again, so over the weekend, Matt and I made a point to spend as much time outside as possible. The daytime temps were in the 60s, an unexpected last hurrah before winter, I suspect. Abigail went for a total of three walks on Sunday and I went for a long, slow run around the neighborhood Sunday morning. When we break out the stroller, Abigail flocks to it, so excited that she just sits next to it until we're ready to go.


We dressed lightly - just sweatshirts or vests over long-sleeved t-shirts. We unzipped them halfway through the walk, holding hands, and laughing in the warm breeze.

Matt and I marveled at the thought that if we were in Florida, we'd still be wearing shorts. We didn't usually break out the jeans until December-ish. I've also been really surprised at how weird it feels to crunch leaves again. It didn't seem like something that would be so noticeable, but the sound of the leaves beneath my shoes, shuffling my feet to kick them in the air, the feel of them, softening the concrete, the smell, distinctly leaf.


Today the temps were in the 30s. The last time I felt something that cold was in December 2009 when Matt and I spent Christmas in Michigan after moving to Florida four months prior. We took the car to the grocery store because it was just too cold to walk. Freezing. I don't know how people walk around in this. I don't know how we're going to survive this winter. We're going to need more blankets.


I say that because I'm a crocheter and my favorite thing to crochet are afghans. Anyway. Do you remember my lovely, charming neighbors? They don't have jobs (which is to say: they are home all. the. time.), they like to stink up the hallway with marijuana, and they get into screaming matches with one another right below Abigail's room. It dawned on me the other day that even if I do succeed in getting them kicked out of the apartment complex, it could take months. In the meantime, I'd really like to figure out how to keep the nasty language they scream at one another out of my daughter's hearing. I have an iPod shuffle, so I created a baby playlist and found a cute little speaker online. They had cheaper speakers, but I decided to pay a little bit more hoping for something with higher sound quality and more durable (read: safe if Abigail finds him) construction:


He is super cute - his eyes are the speakers! Anyway, we tried him out over the weekend and he works wonderfully! The neighbors haven't gotten into it since he arrived, but from now on, we'll be prepared.

Aside from continuing the frugality momentum (trying a new cracker recipe tonight and some dishwasher detergent on Wednesday), the other thing I've been working on is my living room. I have a very large living room (12 ft wide and 20 ft long) and not much furniture. I have a couch and a coffeetable. That's it. It only takes up half the room. We're light on furniture because we move a lot and furniture is heavy and also because when you're husband spends three years sitting at a desk, you don't really need more than one sofa. That being said, if someone approached us and said, "Hey, I'm getting rid of my couch/arm chair/chaise lounge - do you want it?" we wouldn't have turned them down. Anyway, our desk and bookshelves fit really nicely in the dining room with the dining table, so I just have all this space in my living room to do with whatever I want.



I have thrown around the idea of making a craft corner. I really like crafting - I started 18 years ago (at 8-years-old) with needlepoint and latch hook. I've been doing it so long that there isn't anything I haven't dabbled in from sewing (I made my own prom dress, dontcha know), quilting, cross-stitch, needlepoint, embroidery, knitting, crocheting, stamping, scrapbooking, drawing, painting, and probably other things I'm forgetting. I've never had a proper crafting space. Right now, as it has been since I got married, I just have an over-flowing wire shelf and a giant stack of baskets in the closet. When I want to craft something, I take over the kitchen table for an afternoon. When I want to sew something, I have to get the step ladder, take my sewing machine down, take it out of the box, set it up, make my project, pack the sewing machine back up, and put it back in the closet. As you can imagine, I don't sew much.

Two things holding me back: 1. If I were to create a craft space, we'd have to buy a table. Now that Matt is working, we could actually afford to purchase something, but the problem lies in getting it home. We have a very tiny car and not many people on Craigslist deliver. 2. Having a crafting space in the living room would be weird when we had people over. Which we don't do very often. But it'd be weird when we did.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what to do with this gigantic space, but I'd like to figure out something. It's large and echo-y and not very inviting. Ideas?

Well, it's back to the grind for me - I've got a baby food to make. Have a great week everyone! Right now I'm grateful for a delicious dinner and a happy husband. (It's possible one may have caused the other).



1 comment:

In A Perfect World said...

Here's a nifty, and thrifty idea! This one is made with frames, but it can be done on canvas as well!

http://pinterest.com/pin/420382946436958191/